Popular Posts

A few snapshots of my travels around Europe

A few months ago I was catching up with an old friend, I think it was a rainy day in April. We discovered that neither of us had made any summer plans yet and had the brilliant idea of going on holiday together. We spent months thinking up possible trips we could make (it was difficult, flights were expensive and I was on a student budget, but we still wanted to do something cool). Only about two weeks before we actually went, did we finally decide where we were going to go. Interrailing it was. Our interrail tickets were booked a week before we were meant to leave and we only managed to plan and book our first night out of the country. All the rest was decided on a book and go basis. And it was one of the best trips I've ever done.

Interrailing across Europe was seriously one of the best experiences of my life. It was definitely a rollercoaster ride. What we did is, we basically traveled from Utrecht towards Germany, before traveling through Switzerland, which was beautiful by the way. Most of our trip was spent in Italy. I think you could spent a lifetime there. There is just so much to see. After being to places like Como, Cinque Terre and Venice in Italy, we went to Vienna and Budapest next and finished our trip in Prague. To always be on the go is really exhausting but at the same time really rewarding. We were never at one place for more then to days and tried to pack as much into our days as possible. The amount of walking I did during this holiday was insane.

As a first post about my interrail experience, I thought I would share a few snapshots of all the different places we went to. I want to write about the places we went to in detail in other posts, so here is just a quick overview. There is so much to tell that I don't think I could fit it all in one post. I'm also thinking of sharing a few tips and tricks I learned along the way, so watch out for that as well. But for now, here are a few highlights from the trip.


Our first location was Heidelberg. Which is a beautiful town in Germany. We couldn't have chosen a better town as our first location. Neither my friend or I are experienced travelers and being in Heidelberg just felt safe. It wasn't some enormous city where you could easily get lost. Instead it had one main shopping street and a main square and that was about it, other than the beautiful castle up the hill.


^The was taken in Basel. We weren't planning on stopping here, but since we were 
transferring trains here we thought why not check it out. I'm so glad we did^



^ Look at this view! Isn't lake Como stunning? ^

The most beautiful place we have visited was without a doubt Cinque Terre. These stunning villages along the coast, made me fall in love with Italy even more. Even though it was packed with tourists, it didn't feel overly crowded. And while obviously tourism definitely shaped these villages, they still have that typical Italian atmosphere.


^ We met lots of backpackers along the way ^





Prague and Budapest were so different from Italy. They were both absolutely beautiful and absolutely worth a visit if you ask me. Just stay in a different hostel then where we stayed, because ours was absolutely terrible.

I learned so much, saw so much and discovered so much. I definitely want to do it again!! And I would definitely encourage you to take a trip like this too.
You may also like:

3 comments

  1. Beautiful pictures! I've always fancied visiting Prague, hope you enjoyed it despite the bad hostel! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prague was beautiful. It's definitely worth a visit if you ask me :) We were only there for one and a half days, so I definitely want to go back

      Delete
  2. I'm honestly so jealous of your travels! This kind of trip is on my must list once I finish uni next Summer! Also lovely photos! :D
    Lauren // OhHay Blogs!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.