Popular Posts

18 Non-Fiction books on my TBR-List

I have never finished a non-fiction book in my life. Somehow I have always preferred fiction books and even when I picked one up, I put it away again after one or two chapters. However I feel like with me being in college and figuring out myself it would be really inspiring to read from other twenty somethings about their experiences in life. I'm really hoping to pick up lots of these amazing books in the next couple of months.

1. Why is Everyone hanging out without me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

Mindy Kaling's first book has been on my to be read list for a long, long time. Now that I finally have a copy, I can't wait to read it. She shares funny anecdotes and observations on romance, friendship and hollywood in this first book.

2. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

In this book Elizabeth Gilbert shares her perspective on creativity and what she has learned as a writer. I heard from lots of bloggers and creatives alike that they learned a lot from this book and I can't wait to find out what interesting insights she has to share.

3. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

I have had this book on my shelf since the summer of 2014 when I bought it on a whim at Schiphol airport on the way to Greece for a beach holiday. I read the first two chapters on the plane and I really liked it, but never picked it up again. She shares a year in her life when she tries everything to become more happy. Don't we all want to find a way to be happier? Very inspiring.

4. Yes, Please by Amy Poehler

Again, I heard so many good things about this book. Yes Please is Amy Poehler's memoir full of funny insights.

5. #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso

I'm always up for some girl power and this book seems to be full of it. It is an autobiography from Sophia Amoruso, the founder and CEO of Nasty Gal. She has a lot of insights on the business front and will probably give us some great advice in this book.

6. Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari

In this book Aziz Ansari (known from The Office I think?) shares his thoughts on dating in the modern world including social media and dating apps. Since my dating isn't exactly going great, I thought this might be a good read.

7. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

Talk about an inspiring journey. Walking more than 2000 miles without any training on the Pacific Crest Trail is seriously awesome and takes some great willpower. This book has also been made into a movie, which I'm dying to see too.

8. Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Suna and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes

Who wouldn't want to read a book by the creator of Grey's Anatomy And Scandal (both shows I still need to finish watching). As an introvert I always struggle with saying yes. I much rather say no and stay inside all day, which is why I think this would be a very good read.

9. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

I read the first chapter of this book and was immediately captivated. I still need to finish this, but from what I've read as an introvert myself it is a book I can learn a lot from. Especially since she talks about her college experience and how she became a lawyer even when she was an introvert. I'm in college now and can definitely learn a lot from her.

10. All I Know Now: Wonderings and Reflections on Growing Up Gracefully by Carrie H. Fletcher

I have been inspired by Carrie ever since I've followed her on Twitter. I have seen her built her Youtube Channel, get a job in Les Miserables and now also writing her books. Your teenage years can be a difficult time. This book is full of reflections on growing up and can definitely serve as a guide on how to grow up.

11. I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai

Talking about an inspiration. Basically all the writers of these books are inspirations, but I think we can all agree that Malala is someone special and everyone has to at least read that book ones in their lives. Ever since I saw her on College Tour I have always wanted to know more about her.

12. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo

Again a book that everyone plus has talked about and I definitely need to own. Since I'm naturally a messy person and I moved out of my parents house last year I need to learn some organization skills to keep my room tidy.

13. Bad Feminist by Roxane Hay

There are so many good books on this list I'm sure and I have also heard many people talk about this book. Feminism is an ever evolving thing and we can all call ourselves (bad) feminists in some kind of form. None of us are perfect, but we are all fighting for women rights in some form or another.

14. Bossypants by Tina Fey

Tina Fey is one awesome woman. This is again another amazing memoir from a very inspiring human being.

15. Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned" by Lena Dunham

It is starting to get boring right, but again another woman who can make us all proud. A really good actress who shares some really great things about being a girl and gives her her own insides of life.

16. The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan

This book has been on my TBR for a long long long time. Marina actually died in a car crash five years after graduating from college and this is a memoir of her in the form of her essays and stories from Yale. I feel like this is one of those books that I will have to read as a college student at one point. This is probably the book that I'm dying to read most from this list.

17. Rising Strong by Brené Brown

My mom has raved about this book and other books from Brené Brown such as The Skills of Imperfection. Just because of that I should pick this up, but it also sounds really awesome. It is all about the physics of vulnerability and what happens after you fall.

18. Without You, There Is No Us: My secret life teaching the sons of North Korea's elite - Suki Kim

I only put this book on the list after I read a post from Catherine, who said everyone must drop what they were doing and pick up this book, because it was amazing. And why should we not listen? I have also always been fascinated by North Korea. It is such a weird country and I'm excited what insights this book can bring.

And I said interesting way to many times. What are books that you are desperate to read sometime soon?
You may also like:

7 comments

  1. I really want to read a few of these too! I have a review of Rising Strong on my blog if you want to check it out :-)

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'll be sure to check it out. I'm really excited to tuck into some of these reads. Love, Eline

      Delete
  2. I love the Happiness Project, it's a very uplifting book. Non fiction are my favourite types of books!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I've read of it, I have really liked. I'm still trying to find my way into the non fiction world, but they all sound very promising and interesting. Thank you for commenting lovely, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. I'm not really a lover of non fiction but your list has made me add the happiness project and year of yes to my tbr list!
    AliceMegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to get into it myself, but these all sound like such inspiring persons that I'm sure you will enjoy them once you tuck in. Thank you for commenting. Love, Eline

      Delete
  4. Pretty much all of them are on my list too. I'm currently reading a German one called "Generation Beziehungsunfähig" and then, I will read "Wild," "The Year of Yes," "Strong Looks Better Naked" by Khloé Kardashian and "Radical Self Love" by Gala Darling. It's so great to read great books by positive women!

    ReplyDelete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.