Popular Posts

how I create a revision plan


My exam period is about to start (insert sad face). I have one test coming up next week and then I also have a big project that needs to be handed in. I should be lucky that it's just one test, but it still sucks of course. This week I thought I would start my revision with making a little plan. I wouldn't be able to function without a plan even if I don't stick to it most of the time. And I thought why not share how I do that with you guys. You never know, it might be something you are looking for. And of course it is also a way for me to keep myself in check and actually make a revision plan.

Check your diary
The first thing I do is check my diary for any appointments or scheduled classes. It's different every week, so this an absolute must. On busy days I won't plan any revision time in and on other days I will plan loads. I always work on Friday/Saturday and those are usually my "free days" and then on Sunday I always plan to do loads of revision.

Plan what you are going to revise when
I don't like to work with time pressure and so I don't plan my revision days in a timetable. I slot in time to do the revision, but then inside that time I'm free to do whatever I want/need to do. You could of course do that differently, but I prefer to instead create a to-do list for the day and tick things off as I go. I always tend to write down the days I want to spend on revision and then I write down what chapters I want to do that day and what notes I want to revise.

Decide how you are going to study your material
Different subjects acquire different ways to study. I'm doing a degree in geography right now, which means most of my revision consists of textbook reading. For other subjects this might be different. An important aspect of geography is the many processes and concepts it studies. It's the main thing I focus on when I'm revising. The first thing I tend to do is make my own outline of the chapter and then use outlines others have made to get a thorough understanding of the reading material. The next step involves revising the main concepts and processes once more and make sure I hundred precent understand them. After that I should know quite a bit already, but I also always try to make time for some practice questions as well and you could even make your own if you have the time.

Get everything you need
And lastly, before I can start the actual revising, I make sure I have everything I need. Maybe this involves printing out chapter summaries or get your notes together or maybe just getting your books and a pen and paper and get started. And then when I'm ready, I can just sit down and start immediately. One more thing you should make sure that you have are snacks and something to drink. It's important to stay hydrated and to treat yourself.

When you are ready to start there are a few things you should keep in mind: take breaks, plan fun activities in between the studying and lastly don't take it to hard on yourself when you don't manage to keep your plan. In the end it will be fine and wether you get an A or a B doesn't matter.

I always love reading how everyone studies differently. What is your way of revising. Do you do the same thing for every subject?
You may also like:

2 comments

  1. Very helpful tips.
    I am a fan of using a to-do list and crossing it off as I move along. I normally do my to-do list for a week or something instead. I usually study for most of my subjects by writing out material we need to know. My degree is in Agri business though. In the maths subjects we have to do, I simply learn by doing. Good luck in your exams. Mine were thankfully over before Christmas.

    Ellen,
    http://fishnetsxd.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, but I feel you. :(
    I have a thesis and a presentation due in a couple of weeks and exams soon after!
    Minaali
    The Snap Narrative

    ReplyDelete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.