Popular Posts

It's ok to not know what you are doing


This photo was taken last year in Budapest. I was inter railing through Europe that summer with one of my best friends and I had the time of my life. Budapest was everything I hoped it would be. Beautiful old buildings, lots of backpackers, great night life. We were drinking on the steps by a fountain late at night and wandering the streets during the day. We chatted to both locals and backpackers, we went out, got about 2 hours of sleep and I managed to do a few things that I regret doing now. Honestly, however, I didn't care. I was living my life. And I never had the opportunity to let go like that before, but we were on holiday after all. When we left we were dead tired, but it was totally worth it.

These are happy memories. They remind me that I was living my life at that moment. I could have decided not to go on the trip. Plans were made only about two weeks beforehand and everything we did was spontaneous. I realise that it was actually great to not have a plan for once. Normally I'm the girl who has to have everything planned out. There is something great to be said about just going with the flow and seeing where you might end up. It was a holiday alright, but I think it counts for everyday life too. We can make endless plans and worry about tons of stuff, but in the end it might work out totally different from what we imagined and as long as you are happy with where you are right now, you shouldn't have to worry about the rest at all.

Tying in with that is my career path. The major I'm doing at uni isn't very straightforward. There isn't a definitive career path that you can take when you are studying geography. You can become anything: a teacher, a traveller, a book writer, an office girl. And it scares the crap out of me to not know what I'm doing. We all like security. Knowing where I'd end up would comfort me massively. However in return you will have to give up your freedom and I'm not sure that is worth it. There is something to be said about having the freedom of discovering who you are. Lately I had a conversation with my mum where we talked about this too. She said to me that she doesn't want me to finish uni and settle straight away into a job or a relationship. My parents are really encouraging me to travel and discover the world. And I am so grateful for them to be saying that they will support me if that is what I want to do. They give me the freedom to discover myself.

I also recently read a post by Michelle on freefalling through your twenties. You should check it out after this one, it's really good. She kind of inspired me to write this post. It made me realise that it is ok to make mistakes and not have everything figured out. Wether you are twenty or twenty-five life will figure itself out on it's own. You should work on yourself in this period of your life. Worry less about what you should be doing and what others are doing and instead finding what makes you happy. It was a very great insight for me and it definitely is something great to keep in mind.

Basically, I'm going to plan lots of trips now (I really want to go back to Budapest) and beat the January blues by just living my freaking life. I'm also going to do some revision now, because I actually like studying and I don't care whatever you think.

Does anyone feel the same way? Make sure you check out Michelle's post. It's awesome!

You may also like:

7 comments

  1. This was great! I can totally relate.

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah at least you can create a beautiful sides of experience , Every human have a mistakes , since we have a creative minds , we definitely can make something beautiful . Nice one !

    My blog link -> Syamsid Blog - >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My brother has always been about spending money on gadgets an materials, but I'd much rather spend my money on experience, because I feel like that is what makes life awesome.

      Thank you for your comment lovely.
      Xx Eline

      Delete
  4. I felt the same way while I was finishing up my last year of college. Finding the sweet spot between planning meticulously and going with the flow is basically my life's mission lol!

    And that's really awesome that your parents are supportive of you traveling and exploring before settling into a career-- I know so many who aren't.

    I wish you the best of luck and I'm definitely going to check out Michelle's post!

    Melody // www.marevoli.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was such a lovely comment. Thank you! I'm definitely lucky with the parents that I got. They support me and give me the freedom to find my own way and that is absolutely great and I love them for it. I don't know what I'd do without them.
      Yeah, I feel like college is really the time when you think about things like this right?

      Thank you for your lovely comment.
      Xx Eline

      Delete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.