Popular Posts

Mini Guide to Amsterdam

If you didn't know: Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands. I am lucky enough to only live about 20 minutes away and I can visit it whenever I have a spare afternoon. Just in case you find time to visit this amazing city, I thought I would share a few of my favourite things to do.




Bike or Wander around
Amsterdam is certainly a city that is easy to navigate by foot or bike. All the highlights are within walking distance. I highly suggest just wandering, seeing what you can discover. Maybe you will come across the cutest shop or come upon a tucked away square. All the main events are a walking distance from the Central Station, so you should come across something interesting.

Walk across the canals
I also recommend the canals. This is of course the main event of Amsterdam. Just wander over a few bridges and you will come across the most beautiful shots.

Visit a museum
I'd suggest either the Rijksmuseum or Anne Frank's house. If I'm completely honest I have never been to Anne Frank's house, which is terrible as Anne Frank is part of our national and global culture and a really important story. It is definitely on my to-visit-soon list though.

Go shopping
I love shopping in Amsterdam. There are more foreign shops than in other dutch cities. You can find Topshop or Waterstones there for example. And there are lots of English bookshops as well, which love. You can also visit The Nine Streets, which are streets along the canals full of awesome, tiny, indepent stores. There is even a shop that only sells one item, which is a dark chocolate cookie with a white chocolate center. They are the best cookies I have ever eaten.

Visit Dam Square

Dam Square is situated in central Amsterdam and houses the Royal Palace as well as the New Church. They are both worth visiting, but you should definitely go to the square, because it is beautiful.

Of course there are many more things to do in Amsterdam. And I definitely haven't discovered it all either, but I hope you liked these tips.

Do you have any suggestions for me? I always have a hard time looking for restaurants and I would love to know more independent shops.



You may also like:

5 comments

  1. This is such a cute little guide! Seriously need to take myself there one day...

    www.hannahvict.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I love Amsterdam :) It can be very touristy though.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stumbled across your blog and just wanted to say thank you for this! Amsterdam is on my list of places to go, hopefully this year :) Good luck with the daily blogging also - such a great challenge to set though I struggle sometimes with keeping up with scheduling! Ana xxx

    www.namastefromanany.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'm making it harder for myself, but I'm actually not scheduling 🙉 Don't know if that is going to go completely wrong towards the end but we will see. Up till now I have managed to find time every single day.
      Amsterdam is definitely worth a visit.

      Thank you for your comment.

      Love, Eline

      Delete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.