Popular Posts

The Wanderlist: Detroit

Stocksnap

With my degree at uni comes a sense of wanderlust that I can't seem to shake. I study human geography & planning at Utrecht University. Everything we learn about is based on a certain place or region on earth. It's really awesome and I learn a lot about cultures, places and people. A prime example of what we study is the concept of the Donut City. This is the shape a city can take after industry moves away and the city is impoverished. There are a lot more concepts surrounding all kinds of cities. The landscape of a city is often based on the different ethnic groups that live there and their work environment. That is something I'm really interested in and it might also be why I find Detroit such a fascinating city. I can't wait to visit it in the future.

I thought it would maybe be fun to start a mini series on here, where I share what I learned about these places in class and why I want to visit them. With this series I can combine what I learn daily and what I write on my blog, while also virtually traveling the world. By making this list, I will have an overview of the places I'm dying to visit the most and I can go about ticking them of my list.  I'm starting with Detroit, because it's so fascinating and not really the most touristic place to visit.

Daily Mail

Daily Mail


Detroit - The Donut City
No Detroit isn't known for it's donuts. It is more likely known for it's automobile industry and it's music scene from the precious century. It was a prosperous city in the 1960, but has known decline ever since. This is mainly due to industrial restructuring, which lead to a massive loss of jobs. In the process Detroit lost a considerable population. Most people left the inner city and it became abandoned and run down. At the same time though the outer edges, the suburbs, flourished like everywhere in the United States. Hence the name donut. The city has  a hole in the middle, but at the same time a nice, fluffy and  tasty ring of suburbs that are very popular.

Daily Mail

Ever since I learned this about Detroit I've been dying to visit. This might sound weird, but I'd love to go to the inner city and see the abandoned buildings. Did you know that there are 40.000 empty buildings in the city centre? It must be like some kind of spooky, ghost town there. (This might not be entirely true though, since there are still about 800.000 people that live there).

BBC


One of the places I'd definitely want to visit if I'd ever be able to visit would be the Michigan Central Station. For several decades millions of people would arrive every day to go to work or leave for home. But since 1988 no train has run from it again, all because of the recession and the fall of the auto industry. I don't think public transport is as frequently used in the United States as it is in Europe but still. I don't know about you, but I'd definitely want to visit such a place. Just imagine what kind of history places like this have.

It seems like such an interesting city. When I get the change to finally visit the United States, Detroit is definitely on my list of must-visit. It would be awesome to see some of the things that I study about in class, in real life.

I'm really excited about this series. What do you think? And are there any places that you've heard about that you really want to visit?
You may also like:

2 comments

  1. That's so interesting about the big hole in the middle. I wonder how long it will take to fill back up. It seems so cool, like a bit of a ghost town that once was so alive. I'd never thought of visiting Detroit before but now that you've mentioned it, it sounds fascinating!

    Sally ~ DiagonSally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I think. It sounds so interesting doesn't it. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.