Popular Posts

College-free week: Afternoon tea, friends, late evening talks and a terrible cold


As we were wrapping up my term last week, my best friend got some terrible news about her dad. I won't get into much detail about it, because I don't want to share things that have been told to me in confidence. However it's a hard time for her right now and I just want her to know that I will be there for her whenever she needs me. Obviously that news took a while to sink in with me too and it has turned this week into kind of a bitter sweet one. I had the week off from uni and spent the week full of awesome meet ups with friends and late night conversations. It has been completely lovely for me, but at the same time there has been that undertone of sadness that I can't seem to shake.

Anyway, I've had such a wonderful week other than that and I thought it would be great to share a few of my highlights. It's amazing what friendship can do and I'm truly grateful for all my friends in the way that we support each other. Just yesterday I had dinner over at my friends house and we had a deep conversation about the future and what we'd like to do after we graduate. Those are my favourite conversations, when you feel like you are really getting to know someone.



Sunday
The week started out with a dinner at my house with an old friend I met on holiday once. We've been very close friends ever since, catching up whenever we can and it was lovely to have her over and share some homemade comfort food over tons of cups of tea. We are both not the drinking types and spent the whole evening drinking tea instead of wine. She's wrapping up high school right now and it's so nice to share our dreams and passions with each other. I don't have much experience with the college life yet, but I was happy to give her a few tips.

Monday
My best friends and I decided to go for an afternoon tea in Den Bosch on Monday afternoon. One of them had been there before and new a cute place that had an amazing afternoon tea. And it was true to her word. I didn't even take any pictures of the food, because it was too yummy to wait any longer. There was this treat that consisted of salmon, cream cheese and a tiny pancake that I must recreate at home. Sweet and salty and it melted in the mouth. Other than that, there was also soup served, which I guess is kind of untraditional. Of course there was also a sweet selection and a series of scones. We left so full, that we had to practically roll home.









Someone send this quote in the groups app later that day and it basically tells what I feel for these 
girls. If any of them are reading this: I'm so glad I met you guys last year and I don't know what I'd do without you. I'm sure we will be friends for a long long time. I can't wait for the adventures we'll get up to.

Tuesday
I didn't do much on tuesday, except change my blog design and work on a uni project all day, but I still had a great looking breakfast and I saw the most beautiful dusk from one of computer rooms in a uni building. I couldn't see it properly, but I remember thinking it was really stunning. Apparently that night saw a type of nacreous clouds, which is very rare in the Netherlands. They apparently happen once in ten years or so. I'm disappointed now that I couldn't get a better view of them at the time.


Wednesday
Wednesday saw a reunion with an old school friend. We went for a spot of lunch together at a really cute place in the center of town right next to the dom. I especially loved how they put a painting of the tower on the ceiling as you couldn't technically see it from inside. I love that part of town as it's all cobbles and old buildings. The old city center of Utrecht stems from the Middle Ages and it really is stunning. If you ever have a change to visit, I'd highly recommend and I could even show you around if you'd like. It was so nice to catch up with someone I hadn't see in two years and we had a good old reminisce of the high school days.

Thursday
I basically didn't do anything on thursday except watch Gossip Girl on Netflix from my bed all day (I honestly think I'm in love with Nate and Chuck), but I did have floorball training in the evening and then spent a good old time afterwards at the bar with some friends playing games and drinking beer. That was fun and something I hadn't done for absolutely ages.


Sadly after that I fell ill and in fact I'm now snuggled up on the sofa with lots of tea and tissues. Everyone seems to be getting the cold these days and I'm definitely having a case of one that seems to be around in February every year. I'm doing all I can to combat it though: cough drops, tea, honey. It's hardly working so far, but I'm hoping I'll get there with loads of warm beverages, soup and tissues. If any of you have any other tips, I'd appreciate them greatly!

I think tonight calls for an early night, but I had a really fun week. How has yours been?
You may also like:

8 comments

  1. This didn't show up on my bloglovin feed :-(

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. I have no idea how that happened, sorry.

      Delete
  2. I wish your friend all the best during these hard times, and I know that friendships like yours mean everything during times like this. I'm glad you were able to find so many great things throughout the week despite. Get well soon! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's so hard for her. I desperately want to help, but I don't really know what to do most of the time. Right now I'm just trying to be there for her. Hopefully that will help a little. I'm a lot better now thanks, my cold is almost over.

      Delete
  3. You're making me awfully envious, especially in your ability to find the beauty in the simplest things!
    Get well soon. <3
    Minaali
    The Snap Narrative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. That is such a lovely thing to say <3

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the perfect break! We hope your'e feeling better now

    M + K
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfect. I do feel a lot better thank you.

      Delete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.