Popular Posts

Let's Talk: #BrusselsAttacks



The first thing I do in the morning when I get out of bed is turn on the radio. I was eating breakfast in bed this morning when I heard the news about the terrorist attacks. Apparently there had been two explosions and Brussels airport and later another one was reported at a metro station. I kept the radio on all day.  There is one feeling that overrules the rest: sadness. Sadness for what the world has become and for the way that humans treat other humans. Where is this going to end?

What happened today feels extremely personal, which is a pretty irrational feeling. For one it didn't happen in my own country, I don't know anyone who has been affected and most importantly I wasn't there. However, I am a European citizen, Belgium is my neighbour, it even belonged to the Netherlands for a short amount of time, the attack happened within 200 km of my hometown and it's an attack on my freedom as a European citizen.

Last year I travelled on my own through Europe for a few weeks. I did everything myself, from hostels to travel to food. I felt like such a grown up. Like I was ready to conquer the world and nothing would hurt me. But then Paris happened and the world became a scarier place. A place where I might not be as free as I sometimes wish I am. Europe is my playground, a place I'm lucky to call home and that is mine to discover. I feel at home. It is my home. I know all the good places to visit, I speak quite a few languages and I know my way around. This attack and the attack on Paris last year is an attack on my home and that scares the crap out of me.

I know you hear tons of arguments all around us, telling us that what happens in Syria is way worse than the sporadic terrorist attack that happens in the Western World and that it's unfair that the western events get more attention then all the other horrible events that happen day in day out all over the world. And that is true, but I can only think of one reason why that is the case. It's the fact that the attacks that happen here, affect us, me, personally. It affects my home and my way of living and that feels more important then something that happens thousands of kilometers away. It's completely logical that an event like this, happening only 200 km from where I live, gets more media coverage and attention.

The key word here is home. It's like when you hear on the news that someone has died in a car accident. It won't affect you much, but when you attend your best friend's dad funeral, it will affect you a lot. It's the same with this. The prime minister of Belgium talked about the attacks in Dutch, my native tongue. I'm used to hearing about attacks through subtitles, but when you hear talk about them in your native tongue, it comes that much closer.

I don't want to lose my freedom. I want to feel safe in my own home. I want a Europe that is good and safe and nice. I want to be happy here. I don't want a war. And last but not least I want people to stop attacking other people.

Let me send out my prayers to all in Belgium. To those who have been affected or whose loved ones are affected. It's a day of mourning. Thank god everyone I know is safe, but that can't be said for everyone.

I just wanted to share some personal views on the Brussel attacks. I'm sorry if it's not my usual upbeat content. How have you experienced today? Do you understand where I'm coming from?

You may also like:

4 comments

  1. It's such a terrible thing, so terrible that it seems unreal until it happens very close to you and you are forced to find a way to accept it. I always feel helpless too, I wish there was some way I could help, so I just keep it in my thoughts and try think of everyone involved in such tragedies all across the world <3 such a kind, thought provoking post xx


    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (doing follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such terrible news. My prayers go to Belgium, I'm not from there or anyone I know of, but it doesn't seem fair to feel and experience being in danger when you are living your own life.

    Joycentricity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eline this was beautiful and perfect and it is exactly what I needed to read.

    I understand completely where you're coming from with this. Scotland is miles away but I have friends in Brussels and I can't tell you how scary it was when I didn't know if they were okay, when I didn't hear from them and when I finally did. You're completely right about it's affect on our way of life, our feeling of security.


    When these attacks happen they're not just attacking one city, one nation, or the people who are wounded or killed. They're affecting the families and friends and neighbours of those people, and the chain continues and in that sense they're attacking all of us.

    Thank you for writing this, it really needed to be said.

    Love always,

    Anne <3 x

    ReplyDelete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.