Popular Posts

Live Life like You're on the Road


Everyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I often get comments about it. Are you going abroad again? Why would you spent all that money on traveling? I don't know what it is, but I am so attracted to discovering new places and being on the road. I've always done so. I love to wander paths I haven't been to before. I love discovering the feeling of a new city or landscape. I'm lucky enough to have been able to discover many amazing places already and it still never feels like enough. I've learned about different cultures and their customs, the food that the country has to offer, the beautiful architecture and it's people. And it's all part of what I love most, traveling, learning and discovering.

It got me thinking lately. Whenever I'm on the road, I get this sense of wonder. I look around with my eyes open as wide as possible, trying to take everything in. I have this need to discover as much as possible of another time and place. I want to learn it's culture and it's customs, the way the city has been built and the history it has to offer. And I want to get a snippet of what it's like to live in a place like that. But then I return home and I forget to look at everyday life with that same feeling of wonder. Instead I see familiarity and it isn't nearly as exciting.

I've been feeling so discontent lately, so sluggish and bored and unhappy. I'm constantly looking at other people's lives and I want what they have. The only way to solve this in my mind, is to look at everyday life in a different light. To look at the small moments with wonder, like I do when I'm traveling and discovering new places. To capture those memories and to cherish the feeling of happiness. Not just on the road, but especially in the everyday life. It's a life lived with intention that I want to live. Like the fact that life on the road is often a life lived with intention. When on holiday we forget the stress of everyday life and we admire the beauty of a new time and place, instead of feeling sluggish and tired and stressed.

The challenging thing is to project those feelings into everyday life. But it doesn't have to be fancy. Just by looking at a beautiful spring blossom can conjure the same feeling. Or maybe a few stolen moments where we just sit and think. We don't have to move to an exotic place to feel like this. Even in everyday life we can discover something new each day, learn something or travel somewhere. And that's going to be my goal for the rest of the year. Live a life like I'm on the road.
You may also like:

4 comments

  1. "Why would you spent all that money on traveling?" Well, why wouldn't you? If I had the means, I would absolutely spend it traveling as much as possible!

    It's important to look at and appreciate every day life. Staying in one place and working there really gives you tunnel vision.

    The photo is beautiful, by the way! You caught a great view.

    Alyse (J.X.L.) | LUMIÈRE & LENS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Me too and always have. My brother thinks I'm crazy for doing so, but it's the most wonderful thing in the world. I absolutely agree. I need to live on a bit more of a budget and in the meantime it's better to discover things a bit closer to home. Thank you for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  2. God knows, there's still so much more of Philly for me to explore! Lately I've been really tired out by travel; I love being in new places, but the actual part of getting there is exhausting. Last year I travelled out of state for every vacation. This year I stayed in Philly or a nearby city (usually NYC) for most of my vacations. And I haven't tired of it yet! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a lot more relaxed, I agree. I think there is more value in the places nearby then we think there are.

      Delete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.