Popular Posts

10 Budgeting Travel Rules I live by


I wanted to write about a few budget travel tips I have accumulated over the years. I love traveling, but obviously I'm a student and I have to watch my money. I don't have an endless budget, but I have always prioritized travel as an important way to develop and learn about other cultures. Budget travel has gotten me to see most of Europe over the last couple of years and you can do that too.

As a student your financial situation can be precarious. Most students have study debts and have to be careful with their finances. I'm the same as any other student, keeping a side job just to get everything paid for. Any savings I have left, I put towards traveling, but I am careful about what I want to spent it on. I'm not going to splurge on an expensive flight to the other side of the world and instead would rather keep some savings and pick out a shorter distance flight to a country in Europe.

1. One of the most important things to budget on in my opinion is accommodation. I don't need a fancy hotel. I'm just as fine bunking with other travelers in a dorm room. I spent two weeks last summer inter railing through Europe with a friend and we stayed anywhere from dorm rooms to camp sides and did that for about 15 euros a night. A place to sleep is just a place to sleep.

2. Getting the basics of a trip well organized, can save you a lot of money. Booking flights at the right time, bunking with other people, using other cheap transport modes and just a simple thing as doing research can save you a lot of money. I know Ryanair for example always has some cheap deals flying from Eindhoven. I always make sure I'll check their website first. If you want to go really cheap you can also use companies such as Bla Bla Car or take the bus.

3. Another tip would be not to go out for dinner every single night. I love food shopping in another country and I love finding a place for a picnic. It can be just as much fun to eat your dinner under the night sky or during a sunset. During the day it's also a good idea to pack your own snacks, that way you can save a lot of money, instead of splurging on cake and/or lunch every single day.




4. If you do decide to go out for dinner, I'd suggest looking for restaurants in the quieter areas of the city. It's often cheaper, more local and better than the restaurants you can find in touristic spots or on main squares.

5. I always make sure I bring my own travel guide and source the internet for must sees. It can be tempting to try anything and everything and feel like you have to visit the expensive touristic sights. If you do your research, it might be that you can find a cheap alternative and you might realise the sight wasn't even worth it. I also often keep in mind that when the outside of a building is beautiful, it isn't necessarily true that the inside will be just as beautiful. I always ask myself if I really want to pay to visit the inside or if I'm just as fine with admiring it from afar.



6. Remember why you travel. It's important to know what drives your travel. What are your must sees and what makes you happy? For me that thing is to get lost and get to know the true culture of a certain city of place. I love just wandering around with my little guide and I get proper giddy when I discover a hidden square or beautiful street. That's what I travel for and it doesn't even cost me any money to do that. For others it might be something different, but it's great to keep that in mind as it can be something to focus on and make your experience in the city or other side unique.

7. Free walking tours are a great invention to get to know a city in a unique and cheap way.

8. Don't forego any of your must do's, because you will regret it and don't feel like you have to visit something, just because everyone else is doing it.

9. The cheapest way to discover a city is on foot. Take your time. Why rush undergrounds when you're here to discover new things?




10. One last tip is to never go for the cheapest option, always go for the cheaper option. You don't want to end up ill from bad food you've eaten and you don't want to regret not doing something because you wanted to save money. Go for something that is cheaper and think carefully about what you do, but never go for the worst and cheapest option, because I find that it won't make your trip enjoyable. There are some things you don't want to compromise. You're on holiday after all and you're allowed to live a little.

I hope you enjoyed this post and you will keep these things in mind. Do you have any tips you have that I can use in the future too?

You may also like:

12 comments

  1. ahhhh you're watering all my little seeds of wanderlust with this one <3 i completely agree with the place to sleep- it's an amazing way to meet other people. Sometimes it's worth making sure the place gets a good rep for safety and hygiene but like you, i don't need fancy hotels. Free walking tours are my absolute must. I loved in Krakow, university students ran a few and they were always amazing. Sometimes (london london london) I love the underground, like i'm slightly obsessed with them, and if i have a specific location i like taking the tube to get there but ahh wlking is a good way to get your bearings too.

    I loved this post. I hope your enjoying your hiatus, and not stressing to much about uni. just think about your next holiday :P

    Love,

    Anne // www.aportraitofyouth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a free walking tour in Prague and found it the perfect way to see a city. Safety and hygiene are important to me too, but even the cheapest places can have that thankfully. You're right about London. I love the underground there and in Paris too, but more often than not, when you're on a budget, walking will do too. In Lisbon you have the no.28 tram, but it's only interesting to see it from the outside I think. I didn't really have the urge to go inside the cramped space and would rather spent my time walking in the outside air.

      Thank you so much, I can't wait till summer when I'll have all the time in the world to blog. The bad thing is that since I started the hiatus, blog post ideas have just been flying around in my head. I don't have the time to write them out damn it.

      Love, Eline

      Delete
  2. I actually quite like experimenting with public transportation when I'm in a new place! It's certainly not glamorous, but I feel like it's a very real experience and a great way to get in tune with the rhythm of the city :) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's true too of course. I find that when I'm trying to save money, it's one of the first things I skip though. Except maybe in London where the underground is something you have to experience. Thank you for commenting :) Love, Eline

      Delete
  3. Great tips! I absolutely agree with #1 and #10. You spend most of your time away from the hotel anyway, so all you need is a clean place to sleep and shower. But when I travel, I make sure to have enough budget because being too cheap will make you miss out on all the fun and experience. :)

    www.jeannechristinemarie.blogspot.com
    * Instagram * Facebook *

    www.jeannechristinemarie.blogspot.com
    * Instagram * Facebook *

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your tips! Getting cheaper accommodation instead of luxury is the way to go! Also, I like exploring places by foot and researching before the trip that can I visit and how much it will all cost me :)


    The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all really great tips, I did all of these things when I went travelling last year. As much as I'd love a five star hotel, I'd probably never leave my room if it was too comfortable and that defeats the purpose of going away. :P x

    Sally - DiagonSally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Researching ahead and being okay with compromising a bit on accommodation are ones I find useful too! And your last point is good as well, you want to save money but you still want to enjoy the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was perfect! I'm trying to earn money so I can go visit a friend of mine in Milan, Italy, but I definitely need a spending plan once I'm there! Thank you so much!

    Also, if you would like to read something from me, here's my blog: www.pocifikim.com
    It's in Albanian, but there are some translated articles in the "English" category on the menu.
    I suggest you this article: http://pocifikim.com/ex-a-happy-birthday/

    A lot of people liked it, it seems that the question "Should you wish your ex a happy birthday?" is quite popular xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. going travelling in the summer and i needed this! awesome tips x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh reading this post has made me soooo excited for my next holiday! Couldn't agree more about saving money on hotels...whenever we visit somewhere we spend all day and night out exploring anyway, so what's the point of splashing cash on an expensive hotel!?

    Beautiful pictures too!

    Katie xx ¦ La Coco Noire

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually love to travel by foot and explore the parts of town you might not have encountered otherwise. The bets places I've stumbled across have been when I've been forced to explore by foot actually :)
    Now I just need to find myself somewhere to get lost ;)
    Ana xxx
    www.namastefromananya.com

    ReplyDelete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.