Popular Posts

A walk through the Alfama Quarter in Lisbon


After our morning at the Botanical Gardens we made our way across the city to the Alfama Quarter and the castle at the top. I did some research before we went and apparently this was a must visit. It's the oldest district in Lisbon and one of the only areas that survived the Great Earthquake of 1755. There are still cracks visible on buildings now and again. We wandered down the little alleys and steep staircases and wandered upon hidden square after hidden square, each more beautiful than the next.

This has to have been one of my favourite places we visit during the time we were there. It's very easy to imagine yourself living there. Washing hangs from the houses everywhere and old man watch on from their doorways. Now and again you come across another tourist, but it's not nearly as disneyfied as other places (Venice immediately crosses my mind). People really live here. It feels like you get a slice of what it's like to live in Lisbon. I loved that.

If there is one piece of advice I would give you when you visit this area is to just get lost. We wandered upon the most beautiful little squares or small alleys on accident that you wouldn't be able to find when following the map. We did get lost and wandered in the totally wrong direction. It took us on a bit of a detour. In Alfama that isn't a bad thing though.







We stopped at a little cafe for a spot of lunch and a nice warming cup of tea. We had wondered all morning and the beginning of the afternoon. We were so ready to sit down for a bit and just people watch. I had one of the tastiest quiches I've ever had. If I remember correctly it was simply cheese, ham, tomato and mushrooms. Simple is often best.

After a bit of a chilled down we made our way further up to the castle. You wouldn't think it would be difficult to find, but it honestly took us ages. When you're in the neighborhood, the castle is only sporadically visible and hard to find. We ended up going in the completely wrong direction, but eventually arrived to this beautiful view.


The wind was strong and it was quite cold up there, but the views were completely worth it. The castle itself isn't big and honestly not necessarily worth a visit. There aren't any particular beautiful rooms or anything as it wasn't a castle people actually lived in and every space looks pretty much the same. The views definitely make up for it though. And the peacocks too. They honestly make the weirdest sound, a bit like a fake cat sound.



Both the district below and the castle are worth a visit. If I were to return to Lisbon at some point, I'd definitely pay another visit to the neighborhood, though if you aren't up for paying for the castle, you might as well skip it and won't miss that much. Miradouros in the neighborhood might be just as stunning.






You may also like:

15 comments

  1. Beautiful views of the town! I've also never seen a peacock with that coloring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen one in ages, it was great. And thank you <3

      Delete
  2. It looks so freaking beautiful! I really need to visit Lisbon one day. I love your advice on getting lost. I find that when you get lost in the city and wander around it, you find the most beautiful places and corners :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love discovering new towns, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Wowwwwwww how talented are you at taking pictures?! These are soooooo damn beautiful, girl! I'm in love with your eye for it.

    It reminds me quite a lot of Venice actually, I would never have guessed this was Lisbon. A truly stunning place full of insanely beaut architecture - my idea of heaven!

    Katie.
    xx ❤ La Coco Noire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so nice, thank you. You're right, it reminds of Venice quite a bit too, or Rome. You should definitely visit, it's beautiful <3

      Delete
  4. OMG I KNOW THAT PLACE :O <3 I knew i'd been to lisbon but i couldn't remember it for the life of me and then i saw that picture from the castle and i was like, i've seen that exact view before. now i'm thinking about all the people who stood in that spot before us and will stand there after us, and eline you are so increbile good at taking photos and you look AMAZING. I love these little travel blogs, you sound so happy and it's lovely to read.


    All the love,


    Anne


    www.aportraitofyouth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's amazing! You should visit at some point again. It's honestly one of the best places I've been lately. I want to do more travel blogs in the future too. I love writing them.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful photos, I love the photo of the car and the peacock! It seems like such a quiet and peaceful location. The food at the cafe looked delicious! Some of the houses look like they have wallpaper on the outside haha. x

    Sally - DiagonSally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that wallpaper is the best thing ever! Thank you for saying that. I often get a bit insecure about them. Love, Eline

      Delete
  6. The Alfama district is so beautiful! I was going nuts taking photos when I was there. You got some gorgeous shots!

    Jane / deluminators

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stunning. I have so many more than showed here haha. Thank you, I'm loving your series at the moment too.

      Delete
  7. I love the winding alleys! When I have time, getting lost is definitely my favourite way to explore a new place! (and it doesn't take too much for be to get lost either; I have a terrible sense of direction) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky to have quite a good sense of direction, but it can be just as fun to have a bad one I can imagine.

      Delete
  8. It's been a while since I've checke dback in! But everything about this post makes me want to jump on plane & go out there right now!! I love the winding alleys and the mix between old and new tiles, terracotta and beautiful landscape...it basically looks like a picture postcard everywhere you turn!
    Much love & hope you're doing well :) Ana xxx

    www.namastefromananya.com

    ReplyDelete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.