Popular Posts

My Return Ticket 2.0: A Fresh Start


I've always considered September as more of a beginning than January. September marks the beginning of the academic year, in January I'm just sad that Christmas is over. Right now, is when we or I at least truly start over. New books, classes, stationary, everything reorganized. I want to use this time of the year to turn a leaf in my blogging journey too. I'd like to introduce a new chapter of My Return Ticket to you.

Somehow we have made it to the end of summer. I've already had my first classes of the year yesterday. The start of a new academic year and the fact that it's September makes me want to start afresh with everything. Including this blog. I bet you are surprised to see me here after almost two months of absence. It has been absolutely ages, but I'm happy to welcome this place back to life. And I'm ready for a change, hopefully so are you.

You know this was not always the plan. I had lovely visions of spending my free time over summer writing on here all day every day. Making the most of that free time that summer usually brings to really make something of this blog. And I really wanted to. But I kept overthinking and rethinking everything that I and this blog stand for and I was afraid to start. Now we are a month later and classes have started up again. I don't even know if I still have the time to make something of this blog now.

You know what I find the most difficult thing about blogging? Sticking to your own voice and not comparing yourself to others. I follow so many amazing blogs with great writing and/or photography that I wish mine was more like. But they are not me and I am not them and this is not their blog, it's mine. We are all unique and that unique voice is what makes you as a writer stand out. I'm not anyone else and nor should I be. I think that is one of the greatest lessons I learned when thinking about all this, this summer. I know that I'm not someone that can make the ordinary look beautiful with beautiful writing or amazing, dreamy photography like so many other bloggers do. Instead I think I'm good at finding those extraordinary places and moments. I'm good at navigating the world, finding what is worth it. But I'm too straight forward to write lyrically about everyday life, not to mean that I joint enjoy small moments of joy of course. So instead of writing about my daily life as I've been doing lately, I want to take this place into a different direction. I want to become a travel blogger, the real kind.

I have no idea how this blog is going to develop, I don't even have any kind of plan or editorial calendar yet. I'm not even sure there is even going to be one. What I do know is that from now on I should write about something that I'm passionate about. Show the world what I can do, who I am. Hopefully someday this blog will fit on my resume as something that I'm proud of.

I'm dearly sorry for this long ramble that you probably don't even understand half of (so do I by the way). I feel like this has been a hurdle I needed to take that is now out there. I can move on and really start writing again now. I think I just needed to get my intentions out there in the world. I'm glad they are out there now.
You may also like:

4 comments

  1. Ooh I'm excited for this new direction! // August/September definitely feels more like a new year than January. This is proof that we are students. I wonder if it'll stop feeling this way once we graduate and enter the real world. // Though few, I have times when I feel burnt out and, in a moment of weakness, compare myself to others. One way to think about is: we'll be so busy with school, we won't have too much time to stalk blogs and compare ourselves :P -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see you back! I was really missing your blog, girl. I am happy to hear that you decided to return and start over. Blogging can get overwhelming especially when there are so many beautiful and popular blogs out there, there is always a feeling of competition. But I think the most important thing is to enjoy the journey that blogging can lead you too. Best of luck to you in the future and can't wait to read more from you! x

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best things about having your own space is to "ramble" as you please. Definitely agree that not comparing yourself is a difficult thing in the blogging process while you're finding your own voice. Write what you think and feel in the moment; it'll be the most natural.

    Alyse (J.X.L.) | Lumière & Lens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, leuke blog heb je! Je vind het vast niet erg als ik in het Nederlands schrijf :) Je schrijft echt supermooi Engels trouwens!

    Ik ga je blog volgen hoor! Misschien leren we elkaar wel wat beter kennen :)

    xx Ilse | www.ilsedanielle.com

    ReplyDelete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.