Popular Posts

Advice from my Dad

My dad is one of those people that doesn't talk much, but when he does talk it's usually about something important and interesting. I always make sure I listen to him when those moments occur. Sunday night was one of those times. He was bringing me back to my room after a weekend at home, like he always does. And we wound up talking about about privilege and the future. I expressed how lucky I am that my parents have been able to do so much for me and that I realise I'm actually super lucky to have them and to have had the upbringing I've had. It's one of those talks that I want to remember. The love and respect I have for both my parents is big and it's the same the other way around. And I realise I don't express enough how eternally grateful I am to have them.

My dad loves driving in his car. He brings me home every Sunday evening, even ends up missing the football because of it now and again. When I need a ride, he is always there to offer me one. He also pays my college tuition. He made sure I got my driver's license. He lets me borrow his car whenever I need it. Basically he and my mum are always there when I need them. And I told him I grateful I am for all of that in the car when he drove me back on Sunday. I told him how lucky I am that I saw mountains and went skiing when I was 5 years old. I told him how lucky I am to not have a student debt.

In return he told me that his biggest wish was that me and my brother would be set up for the best possible future we could have. He did all of that for us, because he wanted to make sure we got of to a good start. And I realise this is how most parents feel about their children, but it's still nice to talk about it now and again. He also told me that at some point he has to let us go. We have to do it on our own at some point, right? Even if we can of course always ask for their advice. He suggested that I should start realizing that now. College is often such a bubble. I forget that there is another world outside of uni that I should probably be preparing for. I will have to pay my own bills at some point and find the carreer path I want to take. My dad encouraged me to start looking, to start actively searching, for opportunities outside of uni right now. To fight for what I want. And to look into the future, internships and jobs for example. Even if I don't need them now. To be working towards a great future for myself. Sometimes it's good to have these kinds of talks to be reminded of that again.
You may also like:

6 comments

  1. I've also been really lucky and privileged that my parents are able to provide so much for me, so that the only thing I need to worry about is studying hard. I have 1.5 years to go so I need to start thinking about the real world. It's daunting, but it's what I've been working towards and what my parents have been supporting my through :) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad sounds like a really, really great father. How lucky you are! (And how nice you are to realise it, too).

    I'm very lucky to have my dad too - he sounds a lot like yours. He and my mum have supported me practically, emotionally and financially through all of my childhood, through breakups & new relationships, through my degree, through self-employment and now even through moving out of their home and into one of my own. I can't imagine what direction my life may or may not have taken without their advice and support. They always say I'd have got 'there' in the end regardless, but I know they've certainly made the ride so much easier for me!

    I'm taking my dad out tomorrow night for his birthday, so I'll chat about this with him over dinner. Thank you for the prompt!

    Flora
    www.theeverchanginghome.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great that you're realizing this now and can appreciate your parents. Being a good parent requires an amount of selflessness and looking outward that we don't often consider when we're in our teens or 20s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very nice of you to be thankful for what your parents do for you. You are very lucky and it's good idea to listen to his advice.
    http://mihabalan.com/2016/12/02/a-day-in-your-life-things-you-need-for-relaxing-and-cosy-weekend-at-home/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, wise words form your dad :)

    Rachael xx.
    theteacozykitchen.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post. I am very grateful to my parents, too... they are both super supportive and understanding of everything I do. At the end of last year I went through a pretty tough time and they couldn't do enough for me - it made me realise just how lucky I am. x

    KatieLeanne.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© My Return Ticket. Design by MangoBlogs.